Foundations of Yoga Therapy Teacher Training
Spring 2019 - Tuesday Evening Track
“The success of Yoga does not lie in the ability to perform postures but in how it positively changes the way we live our life and our relationships”
– T.K.V. Desikachar
Step into your dharma…
Our Foundations of Yoga Therapy 200-hour training program is designed for aspiring classroom yoga teachers, current health-care professionals, and future yoga therapists. This program focuses primarily on the therapeutic applications of classical asana, and on adapting yoga for the individual, whether in a public class setting or in private yoga consultations. In this course, you will learn yoga’s most effective practices for stress-relief, including pranayama (breathing practices) and meditation, as well as how to integrate all of the teachings and tools of yoga towards optimal health and wellness of the body, mind and spirit.
This program provides exceptional preparation for students who want to pursue a career in yoga therapy. With the creation of our extensive, IAYT-accredited Yoga Therapy training program and innovative Yoga Therapy Clinic, Yoga Yoga has positioned itself as a leader in the exciting, rapidly-expanding world of yoga therapy. We invite you to join us in changing the health of the world, one yoga student at a time.
Our curriculum includes:
- In-depth study of yoga asana from a therapeutic perspective, including: Sanskrit names, proper alignment, and benefits.
- Foundations of both Western and yogic anatomy.
- Introduction to yogic philosophy and literature.
- Pranayama and meditation basics for your practice and teaching.
- Practice teaching to build confidence and develop your authentic voice.
- Effective language and classroom management skills.
- Skills and special considerations for teaching private yoga students.
- Introduction to specialized, adaptive teaching modalities, including: Chair Yoga, Gentle Yoga, Yoga for Seniors and Restorative Yoga.
- Ethics and business principles to help you build your career as a yoga teacher.
In our training you will learn to:
- Teach private students as well as public yoga classes authentically and confidently.
- Create a welcoming class environment for a wide variety of students.
- Design safe and creative class sequences.
- Offer adaptation, variations & modification of asana to address different students’ needs.
- Read students’ bodies and apply anatomical principles to offer effective hands-on adjustments.
- Develop stress-management tools for yourself and your students.
ADMISSIONS & PREREQUISITES:
Students should be at least 18 years old, as well as completing a high school degree or its equivalent.
FACULTY & COMMUNITY:
When you join the Yoga Yoga family, you will experience deep transformation in a supportive community of dedicated yoga practitioners and teachers. From enrollment to graduation, you will benefit from the attention and guidance of a tenured Lead Teacher, supplemented by contributions from our faculty experts in the fields of anatomy and research, physical therapy, Ayurveda, kinesiology, psychology, literature and language, and education.Students should be at least 18 years old, as well as completing a high school degree or its equivalent.
AFTER COMPLETING THIS TRAINING, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Become a nationally Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200) through Yoga Alliance®
- Teach therapeutic Hatha yoga classes in a variety of environments, such as yoga studios, gyms or corporate settings.
- Register for 500-hour Advanced Courses and specialize in a variety of styles including Yin, Restorative, Prenatal, Children, Vinyasa, and more.
- Become a yoga therapist by enrolling in our Yoga Therapy program.
LOCATION & SCHEDULE:
This training meets every Tuesday night from 5:30pm-9:30pm over 11 months at Yoga Yoga Westgate. There are also two intensive weekends, which meet on Saturday and Sunday from 12pm-6pm.
- April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- May 7, 14, 21, 28
- June 4, 11, 18, 25
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- August 6, 13, 20, 27
- September 3, 10, 17, 24
- October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- November 5, 12, 19
- December 3, 10, 17
- January 7, 14 2020
Emily Liles received her 200 hour, 500 hour, and Yoga Therapy Training at Yoga Yoga and her Bachelor of Science at The University of Texas. She is a student of Chase Bossart in the tradition of TKV Desikachar. Emily has been practicing Yoga since 2002 and teaching since 2006. She utilizes the practice of Yoga and Ayurveda to design individualized sessions to meet students where they are in their journey. Customized Yoga practices can foster nourishment tailored for the individual and ongoing support. Emily uses alignment bases postures, breathing practices, meditation, and mantra to help find resilience for each practitioner. Emily is certified through the International Association of Yoga Therapists as a C-IAYT.
GET STARTED WITH ONE OF THESE OPTIONS:
- Call our Admissions Department at (512) 326-2273 to connect with an Admissions Counselor.
- Attend a Teacher Training Info Session—view upcoming dates and RSVP with our online form.
- Our Admissions Counselors, also highly-skilled yoga teachers, are available to answer all of your questions and concerns as you make this life-changing decision. From helping you find the right program to assisting you with payment options, these caring professionals will support you every step of the way.