Advanced Teaching Skills
“Using speech as a spiritual practice is the act and art of bringing a deeper awareness to our words so they not only connect us with ourselves but also reflect what is truly alive in us. When we do this, we help create the kind of world we want to live in and leave to the future generations, because then our words promote life.”
– From What We Say Matters by Ike and Judith Lasater
One mark of a mature and accomplished yoga teacher is the ability to communicate authentically, from the heart, and with clarity of purpose. Skillful communication isn’t reflected only in how we use our words, but also in how we use our presence, our vision and our touch. An adept yoga teacher knows how to effectively use both verbal and nonverbal communication skills to translate the depth and beauty of the teachings of yoga into a class experience that feels safe, inclusive and comfortable for a wide range of people. In Advanced Teaching Skills you will learn to best serve your students by truly seeing them as they are, meeting them where they are, and relating to them consciously and ethically.
IN THIS 500 HOUR ADVANCED HATHA COURSE:
- Make an honest assessment of your own skills & challenges as a yoga teacher
- Learn how to construct a yoga class thematically so that the whole experience is greater than sum of its parts
- Learn how to weave all the aspects of a yoga practice (asanas, pranayama, meditation, philosophy and relaxation) into a class sequence
- Discuss the ethics of touch and learn how to assist students effectively
- Refine your language skills to be affirming, empowering, ethical and effective
- Learn the do’s and don’ts of teaching in a variety of settings (corporate, gym, yoga studio, church, school, etc)
- Discuss ways to relate to students in inclusive & ethical ways
- Learn how to apply non-violent communication in a yoga class setting
- Learn how to observe students wholly and integratively by employing “beginner’s mind” and a number of new ways of seeing
Completion of a 200-hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training course.
All classes meet at Yoga Yoga North.
Fridays 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Saturdays and Sundays 12:00pm – 6:00pm
WEEKEND 1: September 27-29
WEEKEND 2: October 11-13
WEEKEND 3: November 1-3
Course Length: 50 hours
Teaching Faculty: TBD
For questions or registration, please contact our Teacher Training Admissions Counselor at (512) 326-2273. Yoga Yoga Teacher Training Core Course Cancellation Policy.