Yoga for Children with Autism Spectrum and Special Needs with Shawnee Thronton Hardy
Yoga for Children with Special Needs 25-hour program offers fun, hands-on and effective strategies for teaching yoga to children of diverse abilities. Participants will learn tools to support children ages 5-17 with self-regulation, body awareness, social skills, expression of difficult emotions, language and communication and so much more! Learn strategies, supports and modifications to teach yoga to children with ADD, ADHD, Autism, Down Syndrome, Prader-Willi, Williams Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, sensory integration difficulties, language processing difficulties, developmental delays, limited mobility, anxiety, behavioral challenges and more!
- Yoga Teachers
- Pediatric Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Behavior Specialists
- Mental Health Practitioners
- School Psychologists
- Pediatric or School Nurses
- A.P.E./P.E. Teachers
- Anyone who is passionate about sharing the benefits of yoga with children of all abilities.
- Playful and passionate connection with like-minded community
- Comprehensive manual, resource list and book
- 25-hours packed full of learning, yoga lesson plans, games, songs, stories, partner and group poses & activities.
- Anatomy & Physiology, precautions and contraindications related to children with special needs.
- Creative, fun and safe suggestions for asanas (physical poses), pranayama (breathing strategies) and relaxation and mindfulness activities.
- Suggestions for props, modifications, adaptations, tools and supports to meet the needs of diverse cognitive and physical abilities
- Chair yoga for “yoga breaks” and for children with limited mobility
- Positive behavior strategies
- Poses and breathing strategies to support self-regulation, sensory-processing and expressing/releasing difficult emotions
- Trauma Sensitive Approach
- Suggestions for how to structure classes and lesson plans for groups with diverse needs.
Friday 9:00-5:30 pm with a 1 hour lunch break
Saturday 9:00-5:30 pm with a 1 hour lunch break
Sunday 9:00-5:00 pm with a 1 hour lunch break
about your teacher
Shawnee is a C-IAYT – Certified Yoga Therapist, M.Ed, 500 E-RYT and RCYT (Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher). She is the Founder of Asanas for Autism and Special Needs and the Founder/Director of Yoga Therapy for YouthTeacher Training Program. Shawnee has worked with children and adults with autism and special needs for over 19 years. She has specialized in working with children and adults with significant cognitive and language delays, sensory processing deficits, as well as severe behavior challenges. Shawnee works with private clients of all abilities to facilitate health and healing. Her goal is to bring the experience of yoga to all individuals no matter their differences or challenges. She wrote and published a book, Asanas for Autism and Special Needs – Yoga to Help Children with Their Emotions, Self-Regulation and Body Awareness and is the creator of the C.A.L.M.M Yoga Toolkit. She started a Yoga School through Yoga Alliance in order to train others in yoga approaches to support children and adults with autism and special needs and travels globally to share her teachings. Shawnee is dedicated to helping support youth and adults in developing strategies to cope with stress in order to live happier, healthier more peaceful lives.
Through her study and experience teaching yoga to her students in her classroom, she quickly realized the benefits of yoga on her students attention and focus, reduced anxiety, body awareness and development of calming strategies. She also noticed the positive reaction from her students and the excitement they displayed each time they practiced yoga. She has experienced first hand the benefits yoga can provide to health and overall well-being. She has a unique combination of understanding autism and other special needs and knowing how to teach and reach these young people.
Shawnee has led several workshops at major conferences both in the US and Internationally; including MISTY (Montreal International Symposium for Yoga Therapy) and IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists) SYTAR Conference on Yoga for Sensory Processing and Self-Regulation for children with ASD, BOOST Conference (Best Out of School Time) on Yoga for Children with Special Needs , Yoga and Mindfulness for Youth and Yoga to Reduce Stress and Increase Relaxation for Educators. TRUST Conference (Teens Understanding and Reflecting Stigma Together) on Learning to Breathe, Yoga and Mindfulness for Teens, including teens struggling with mental illness and UCSD Bridging the Hearts and Minds of Youth Conference on Yoga and Mindfulness for Sensory Integration and Self-Regulation.
Shawnee has written for and has had her work featured in several magazines and online resources. See media features here.