By blending the wisdom of yoga and ayurvedic lifestyle with the science of health and wellness, Yoga Therapy gives practitioners a comprehensive view of the body, mind and heart, allowing them to address the full scope of health and wellness for the individual.
The practice of Yoga Therapy creates a bridge between yoga and health care by integrating yoga philosophy, multiple assessment methods, and the application of therapeutic yoga techniques. This gives yoga therapists the ability to meet the specific needs of clients. Yoga therapy has been demonstrated to effectively address a wide variety of wellness concerns, such as back pain, chronic illness, digestive disorders, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression, pre- and postoperative care, as well as injury recovery among many other health related conditions.
Designed for 200-hour Registered Yoga Teachers who are passionate about their students’ well-being, this professional program will equip you with the specialized knowledge and practical tools to offer yoga’s healing benefits to a wide range of people exhibiting a variety of health and wellness concerns, as well as those people seeking to live more vibrantly. Our Yoga Therapy program will also prepare you for a fulfilling career on the cutting edge of healthcare in America.
Our 800-hour program includes two 300-hour modules: Module 1: Yoga Therapy in Practice and Module 2: A Career in Yoga Therapy. In addition to the two modules of coursework, therapists-in-training seeking to satisfy IAYT’s requirements for certification must complete a 200-hour Practicum & Mentorship program. Students are awarded a C-IAYT by the International Association of Yoga Therapists upon satisfactory completion of all 3 units: Module 1, Module 2, the Practicum & Mentorship, as well as a final project.
Completion of Module 1 satisfies the requirements to become a 500-hour Registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance.
Yoga Yoga’s Yoga Therapy Program is accredited by the Accreditation Committee of the International Association of Yoga Therapists. For more information, contact: www.iayt.org.
MODULE 1: YOGA THERAPY IN PRACTICE (300 HOURS)
Module 1: Yoga Therapy in Practice introduces the basic skills needed for client intake, observation and assessment, as well as practical, effective tools for addressing specific aspects of the body, mind and spirit. This module uses an integrative approach to explore and define the difference between teaching yoga and the use of yoga as therapy.
Additionally, this course gives instructors a strong therapeutic foundation in order to address the needs of diverse student populations including: aging clients, athletes, and those with chronic illnesses.
Through lecture & discussion, hands-on workshops, and personal practice integration, you will learn:
- Yoga philosophy as a model for the application of yoga therapy
- Advanced Western and yogic anatomy
- Principles of subtle anatomy, Ayurveda, and the nature of the mind
- Skills and methods for interviewing and assessing clients
- How to evaluate and support a client’s needs in the context of the yoga therapy
- How to construct and deliver a yoga therapy session
- Medical aspects of common diagnoses, treatments, contraindications and redflags
- Therapeutic yoga techniques ranging from the gross to subtle
- How to apply pranayama, meditation, and relaxation to affect your client’s physical, mental and emotional well-being
- How to effectively communicate with students based on their learning style, in both individual and group settings
- The science of behavior change and application of yoga techniques towards a client’s health and wellness goals
- The foundational principles of nutrition
SPRING 2019 MODULE 1: YOGA THERAPY IN PRACTICE
All weekend sessions meet at Yoga Yoga North according to the following schedule:
- Thursday 12:00 - 6:30pm with a 30-minute break
- Friday 9:30am - 6:00pm with a 1-hour break
- Saturday 9:30am - 6:00pm with a 1-hour break
- Sunday 9:00am - 4:00pm with a 1-hour break
Weekend 1: January 31-February 3, 2019
Weekend 2: February 28-March 3
Weekend 3: March 21-24
Weekend 4: April 25-28
Weekend 5: May 16-19
Weekend 6: June 27-30
Weekend 7: July 25-28
Weekend 8: August 22-25
Weekend 9: September 26-29
Weekend 10: October 24-27, 2019
Step 1: Request more information about Yoga Therapy Training by completing our online interest form.
Step 2: Contact our Admissions Department at (512) 326-2273 or email@example.com to connect with an Admissions Counselor.
Step 3: Apply for 2019 Yoga Therapy Module 1: Yoga Therapy in Practice by completing our online application.